- 90%+ of the attendees pounding laptops furiously while speakers did their thing – a site for geek eyes
- Seeing my first “webeletrity” (@ijustine) in person – now @GuyKawasaki has been relegated to some 50-year-old Hawaiian I happen to play pick-up ice hockey with
- Witnessing @Scobleizer live – he’s taller but just as friendly and noteworthy as I imagined – I’m not sure why people are so obsessed with the size of his camera lens though
- Meeting many cool and interesting people in person
- Noting the irony of the first Twitter Conference in a building that used to be SGI and is now the Computer History Museum
I think I’ll go back for day two.
One of the day one highlights came early: Alex Payne (@al3x), Twitter API lead was up first.
He noted how Jack Dorsey (@jack) truly recognized the power of “presence” in IM buddy lists and extended it into Twitter. Interesting for me as an ex-AOLer to see how it took someone who wasn’t super close to the ICQ/AIM franchise (as far as I know) could see the opportunity and extend the seed of this idea into a new form.
- Increasingly news organizations are relying on twitter – before the story “breaks” (research, checking sources); during the story’s “broadcast” (live reporting – example of New York Time’s visualization of tweets for Steelers or Cardinals during Super Bowl); and after (conversation continues).
- It is too hard for Twitter itself to provide a nuanced view of mass of data – it needs specialists in news, sports, entertainment, finance (e.g. stocktwits)
- He noted other exceptional applications build around Twitter: inserting a social dimension into charitable giving with tipjoy; sharing images with others via Twitter with yfrog and TwitPics.
- The Power of Presence. Insights from Alex Payne, Twitter API Lead.
- I am a Twitter God(ess) and So Can You! The View From Twitter Stardom with @ijustine, @missrogue and @davepeck.
- Don’t Take the Drive to Manic Feature Explosion. What Makes a Good Twitter App.
- Twitter business start-ups are combination socialist and radical markets. Twitter Strategies: Real-World Success Stories.
- WTF, No Twitter TV!? Direction from Anamitra Banerji, Twitter Product Management.
- Even with a simple hash tag, there is a learning curve. Soren MacBeth, Co-Founder / CEO of StockTwits.
- You can’t own social media. You can only interact with it. Corporate Use of Twitter by @JetBlue.
- Twitter will transform conferences & events. Surprising takeaways from an in-person Twitter conference experience.