I caught the last part of Jason Calacanis (@JasonCalacanis), day one lunchtime keynote “How Twitter Will Make a Billion, and How You Can Make a Million.” (Given my lateness, I guess I only have about $100,000 coming my way). Jason had lots of great anecdotes, assertions and observations given his background, experience and implementation with Mahalo and @answers. He believes (as much of the audience did by show of hands) that Twitter will be more valuable than Facebook in 5 years.
The first afternoon panel focused on Twitter Strategies: Real-World Success Stories, and featured Jeff Pester (@UniqueVisitor), Bryan Rhoads (@bryanrhoads), @WarrenWhitlock and a substitute for Justin Kan from justin.tv. Some highlights:
- People don’t want 20 tweets a day. Moderate your subject matter expertise.
- Focus on giving. Help and promote others.
- Find others close to you. Use TweepSearch for geographic-based search of users.
- Twitter is a process. Consider it as a long-term investment <damn, I was hoping to get 10,000 followers overnight – wonder if I can get my $’s back?>
- Don’t try to get 100k followers. Instead find 100 people with 1,000 followers who are interested in you and your tweets – they will distribute you.
- Examples of small local business. Tweeting daily specials: “cookies just out of the oven, come and get ’em’.”
- Avoid an ROI discussion around Twitter. Rather need to reframe as R&D or “Return on Engagement”. (Sarah Evans suggests 15 Ways to Measure Return on Engagement (ROE) of Social Media in her blog.)
I’m buzzin’ . . . more later.
- The Power of Presence. Insights from Alex Payne, Twitter API Lead.
- I am a Twitter God(ess) and So Can You! The View From Twitter Stardom with @ijustine, @missrogue and @davepeck.
- Don’t Take the Drive to Manic Feature Explosion. What Makes a Good Twitter App.
- Twitter business start-ups are combination socialist and radical markets. Twitter Strategies: Real-World Success Stories.
- WTF, No Twitter TV!? Direction from Anamitra Banerji, Twitter Product Management.
- Even with a simple hash tag, there is a learning curve. Soren MacBeth, Co-Founder / CEO of StockTwits.
- You can’t own social media. You can only interact with it. Corporate Use of Twitter by @JetBlue.
- Twitter will transform conferences & events. Surprising takeaways from an in-person Twitter conference experience.